Friday, June 13, 2014

You shave with what...?

Good afternoon from BeaverCleaverville!
I thought I would dedicate a post today to one of mine and the MICs overwhelming "hobbies" as it were, and what spurned him to let me embrace more and more of our vintage lifestyle.
You see we are both wet shave enthusiasts. What earth does that mean? It means that we both use DE (Double Edge safety razors)
 You ever wonder what those really thin, flat double sided razor blades were for? The picture above would be it. The safety razor was a modern marvel when it came out. Originally men were shaving with:
 and if that doesn't conjure images of Sweeny Todd or Jack the Ripper nothing will!
Both types of razors require your lather to be created using a brush, bowl, and soap or cream.
 the process can be difficult to learn at first but once master, lathering is something that becomes the "easy" part of the process lol.
I remember when the MIC first convinced me to make the switch I figured that a DE would be complicated and as injury prone as I am I simply stated "no I don't think so." But after much convincing and explanation I tried it and haven't looked back.
Yes the shave does take more time, and some effort to learn how to master, but once done you get a closer more comfortable shave that lasts much longer than any cartridge shave ever did. The other benefit is that it is SO MUCH CHEAPER!!!
Cartridge razor blades can run you almost 14.95 for four. I pay about 10 dollars for 100 and 100 will last me about a year!!!!!!
If you think that's something straights (straight razors) don't take any blades hehe!! But they take ALOT of skill and mastery to learn!!! Take it from someone that has taken a few nicks while learning one. (both the MIC and I both know how to use one!)
Unfortunately in this day and age this form of shaving has all but been lost, or so we thought. Fortunately there are several internet forums brining this art form back and bringing it back strong. The MIC and I are proud members of one and the people on it are very helpful in getting you started.
So if you are tired of the cost, irritation, razor bumps, and did I mention the cost? Why not give a DE a try?! Its the "new" vintage way of shaving!
Forever stuck in the 50's
The Modern Lucy Ricardo
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment