Thursday, June 19, 2014

To the mother at market basket

Well this afternoon in BeaverCleaverVille my world was a little rocked! I went to do my grocery shopping and I wasn't even dressed up to the nines!! (as I've posted I've recently begun waist training and today's temperatures I opted for comfort over fashion lol) while I still stood out I guess I often forget how much! I was about to check out when I heard a little girl scream "Mommy she has red lipstick Mommy she has red lipstick look mommy!" I turned to see a fourish girl jumping wildly pointing at me. I smiled kindly at her and went to speak when the mother looked at me horrified and yanked her back. She gave me a look like I was the devil herself and told the girl "we don't speak to weird people". I stood there mouth agape for a moment... "weird people" me?! My eyes roamed the aisles staring at the green haired teens, tattoo ladened "gentlemen", and heavily pierced teens and thought "seriously? I'm the weird one?!"
now children's reactions to my clothes are among my favorites! They often think I'm famous or a "princess" as I've been called twice now (I didn't go out of my way to correct her I merely smiled and waved kindly) but this mothers reaction broke my heart. What was she teaching this girl? That because I was wearing a nice skirt and red lipstick I was weird so don't ever speak to me?! How did she know me?! Now I'll admit I'm a little odd....but not in any way you need to guard your children from!!! In fact I have two children of myown Andy was a nanny for many years!! I left the store with a lot to think about. What is this generation teaching our kids? That you can be different as long as you don't stand out? That those who are are to be astracisized? I never got to answer that excited girls questions about my lipstick...and I never will, but to the mother at market basket:
Im a 28 year old mother of two!
I work hard to make my house a home and I am sure you do too!
If you had let me answer your little girl I would have simply state that "I wear it because it's pretty" and that's all. Not some crazywhacked out political right wing agenda answer that would have forever scarred your child.i hope the next time you see "a weird person" you take a moment to teach your daughter that they aren't so different, or else this world is going to grow up hating one another!
Forever stuck in the 50s
The Modern Lucy Ricardo

No comments:

Post a Comment