Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Mad men myths or fact?

Good afternoon from BeaverCleaverville!
I recently have begun watching Mad Men, and while I adoooore the show I found myself horrified by some of the things I saw!! Everyone smoking and drinking everywhere, women constantly dressed to the nines, women who's biggest concern in life was getting married, taboo talk of psych visits, and the list goes on and on. I took my list to my mother (who lived during the period) and asked her to confirm or debunk the images I saw on the show:
1) people smoked everywhere!
CONFIRMED
My mother stated that not only did people smoke in restaurants, bars, offices, and HOSPITALS, but she has vivid memories of people walking into their home and lighting up their cigarettes in front of the children.

2) women smoke and drank while pregnant

CONFIRMED
While watching the show the above character both smoke and drank while pregnant, I thought "no!!!" But my mother confirmed that yes this was typical! Of course this was based under the best knowledge of the day where even "doctors smoked lucky strikes"

3) all women went around dressed to the nines (even cleaning the house)


DEBUNKED
My mother stated "unless you were June Cleaver" pants were very common especially while cleaning the house!

4)women only worked to find a husband

NEITHER CONFIRMED OR DENIED
while my mother quickly stated that was in fact NOT true, knowing the mindset of the day I have a feeling it depended on your raising! 

And finally number five
5) going to the psychiatrist was hush hush!

DEBUNKED
"Much like everything else of the day, you kept your personal life to yourself" stated my mother. "You didn't talk about doctors, or divorce, or anything like that it just wasn't kind or proper! At least 
not in our circle!" 
So there you have just a few fun new facts!
Forever stuck in the 50s
The Modern Lucy Ricardo 





No comments:

Post a Comment