Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Being gluten free in a non gluten free household

Good evening from BeaverCleaverville!
 As you have heard me mention in several posts, due to health issues I have recently taken on a gluten free diet. Let me tell you this is NO small task! When I started it first of all I NEVER expected my MIC or family to take the diet on so thus complicated cooking quite a bit. One of the hardest things when eating or cooking gluten free is cross contamination. The oil I use for one non gluten free item can NOT be used for my gluten free item. This also spans into restaurant ordering, which had become increasingly complicated (as my poor MIC) has found out. I can not simply go to McDonald's and order any longer and order anything I want. While a lot of restaurants are providing gluten free menus the truth of the matter us some simply haven't started yet, leaving me to use the almighty google to find out what I can order ( waitresses love that at the table or at the drive thru btw)
But while he Gould have moaned and groaned the MIC has taken it in stride. He attempts to try my different GF items to see what he would eat and switches to those to make my cooking easier. (Can't thank him enough) I've slowly learned that even the simplest items may not be GF ie. mayo or saracha sauce (bizarre right?) and slowly I'm getting the hang of living in a non GF world.
If any of you have suggestions or recipes please shoot them my way!!!
Forever stuck in the 50s
The modern Lucy Ricardo
(Real 50s ad)

No comments:

Post a Comment