Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Greatest Generation

These are my grandparents.

That photo was taken between 1945 and 1946. The war was just ending. Ironically my grandfather was never meant to be her date. Her sister had two gentlemen callers coming that evening and stated "whoever comes first is my date, you can have the second one" Well the fates aligned and they were married later that year.
My grandfather had, during the war, forged his birth certificate to pass the age requirement for the Navy, he always had a sense of duty. After having several children duty called again for Korea and he answered. When he returned they had several more children and a new call of duty came up: fostering babies. They fostered over one hundred infants to be exact, while having eight children of their own.
During the coming and going of these foster children two took a special place in their hearts: one I now call my uncle.......and myself. Risking the very small paycheck she received fostering babies and her very job, my grandmother went against the laws of the day and helped Their son and his wife adopt me and start the tradition all over.
My grandparents were never wealthy by any means but they always had a happy home. They gave to charity, they gave to their church, and always had enough time for their over 25 grandchildren and great grandchildren. Two years ago my grandfather passed away. He slipped slowly from us, forgetting who we were...except his bride. He never forgot her. The last song he ever heard was their wedding song sung by his very bride.
They would have been married 68 years this year. They now are becoming the forgotten generation but I think their's is the greatest. I can only hope to learn from their love, devotion, charity, kindness, and pass that on to my children. I think it's something we all can learn!
 Forever stuck in the 50s
The Modern Lucy Ricardo

No comments:

Post a Comment