Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Norma Jean lives on

Good afternoon from BeaverCleaverville!
I've been spending a lot of my sick time reading and watching biographies and documentaries. I guess I have never realized even in my own life how much of an impact Norma Jean had on me and my fashion. Of course when I refer to Norma Jean I am referring to none other than Marilyn Monroe.
Born in 1926 Norma Jean had no easy life. She was in and out of foster care and orphanages most of her early life leaving her with the feeling of never truly being loved or wanted.
In 1945 she went to work in a munitions factory where she was discovered during a shoot for a pro-American advertising. She was later introduced to several agencies and in the 50s her career took off' with two major events: she signed with MGM studios and posed for Hugh Hefner in a Playboy magazine.
(Iconic image from "the seven year itch")
During what would be the hay day of her career Marilyn suffered multiple tragedies in the form of her marriages, first to baseball great Joe DiMaggio and then playwright Arthur Miller. Unfortunately these men couldn't cope with the sexual caliber of Marilyn's personality and how brightly she shone in public. To these men they simply wanted a wife, but the world wanted their Marilyn Monroe.
Unfortunately like many who are thrust too quickly into fame and want so desperately to be loved tragedy struck the world on August 5th 1962 and as the famous song goes "her candle burned out long before her legend ever will." 
There is a lot of mystery and theories surrounding the death of Marilyn Monroe. I say she was still little Norma Jean looking to be loved. Well we love you now! You were and are one of the greatest icons to ever walk this earth! 

Forever stuck in the 50s
The modern Lucy Ricardo 

No comments:

Post a Comment