Saturday, July 12, 2014

Brimfield day!

Good morning from BeaverCleaverville!
I have collapsed into a chair here in the house after NINE straight hours at Brimfield!!! I was determined to see al the fields, but we made it to the heart of the mart at about 12 miles and that's when realized we were only half way done!!! I gave up there. I am still estimating resale costs and putting together photos of everything but I'll show you my obsession and favorite finds.
I have a very strange obsession (besides vintage clothing) it's also vintage but waaaaaaaay older:
( what I'm going to describe some may find this very disturbing read at your own risk)


during the Victorian period, especially the civil war the upper class wanted more elaborate ways of memorializing their dead. Due to the fact that hair never faded away they would take hair of the 

deceased and turn it I to beautiful art by weaving it into textures.......like you see in the three pieces above you. These are Victorian mourning jewelry.....made with human hair encased in glass and gold. I had picked up two of them and had passed on the third. Passing on the third was the stupidest thing I had ever done and I kicked myself all day and cried about it all the way home. While unpacking all our finds the MIC unloaded this tiny blue bag I hadn't seen. "What's that?" I asked. He smiled and handed it to me. Low and behold he had gone back for the third mourning piece for me. I freaked out! I had never seen one I. Such good shape or such intricate pattern!
I will say besides the amazing finds the other thing I truly enjoyed was the deep appreciation for em effort I put into my daily appearance. I was stopped by dozens of people asking for my photo, complimenting my hair, dress, glasses, it was wonderful how much they appreciate the time I took to get each step right! I enjoyed spending time naming people that didn't think I was...odd
 I'll be posting more and more images as the week goes in but boy am I exhausted!!
forever stuck in the 50s
The modern Lucy Ricardo 

No comments:

Post a Comment